Overall, what is Identity theft?
Identity theft is when someone steals your social security number or account information and uses it without your permission. In fact, ID theft happens through:
- Family members, friends, coworkers, neighbors, and strangers
- Stealing a purse or wallet
- Skimming account information
- Sending a phishing email or text
- Hacking personal data
- Stealing mail
- Searching through trash
- Stealing smartphones or computers
- Person impersonation
- Medical or business record
Finally, to contact a CCCS counselor about Identity Theft, click here.
Also, for more information about how to prevent ID Theft, click here.